From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 10:06:40 -0500
Mary Belle,

When a modem connects, it may not always display the "effective throughput"
speed.  This is especially true with today's high speed modem's that use
sophisticated data compression technology.  Even though a  modem registers
the intitial connection at 31,200000, once the data compression
routines kick in,  the THROUGHPUT will be up in the 40K range.

Since you do not have a USR modem, calling the USR test line will not yeild
much valuable information.  A better test is to use the utility program
SYSMON.EXE which you already have.

First talk with your ISP and find out how/where there is a file which you
can download from your ISP's servers.  DO NOT try this with a web site out
on the internet --- ONLY work with files that are physically located at your
ISP.  The file should be at least 1 Meg.  Bigger files will give a more
accurate average, but 1-2 meg is plenty for a quick check.

Before you connect and download, start the System Monitor.

Click START - PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS --
and select the SYSTEM MONITOR program.

Now go to the SYSTEM MONITOR's menu bar and click EDIT --
ADD ITEM.

On the left side, click DIAL UP ADAPTER ( not #2 ).
On the right side, click BYTES RECEIVED/SECOND
Click OK.

This will create an empty graph.

Now dial in and download the file.  Watch the values on the graph and try to
determine the average value.  Multiply that average by 10 and you will have
your true download speed.

I'm not sure why someone made the comment about distance from the ISP.  All
signals must go from your telephone to the TelCo switch center and then from
the switch center out to the ISP......The distance between you and the ISP
has nothing to do with anything.

What IS important is the type -and amount- of "switchgear" that the TelCo is
using between you and the TelCo switch center _AND_  between the switch
center and your ISP.  Since you have no control over this and the TelCo
won't guarantee anything better than a voice grade line, this is not a very
productive avenue to resolve your problems.

Jim Meagher
Staff Editor