From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:08:49 -0400
How about a different question?
Say you have no network card in an original install of Win98,
and then add one for Cable ISP access.
You find it is defective after some period of use. (20 days.)
You put in a different card from a different manufacturer, with
the new drivers. Would you still have the "problem" stated below?
If so, for a single "standalone" computer in a home on a Cable ISP
would it matter?  Thanks,  Rick Glazier
----------
Dave Gillett wrote:
>   There are a couple of ways that this could happen.  Although the
> number encoded into the card is unique, it can be overridden in
> software.  Win9x, for instance, records the MAC address during the
> Windows install, and keeps this address even if the hardware changes.
>   So if you pass around a network card amongst different machines,
> you could easily get an error message like this.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html