From:
Douglas Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:16:36 -0500
I've set up several networks with the same Linksys router
you are using.  If you can get good cable connections
between the devices, it usually goes rather smoothly.

First of all if you can't get your PC connected to the
router, you won't be able to upgrade the firmware, so that's
the first challenge.  I'd suggest that you first just
connect one PC to the router without the DSL modem.  Then
turn on the router, then re-boot the PC.  Then see if you
can get the green steady light.  If not, check to see if you
can connect to the DSL router with the PC like Dave
suggested to make sure that the network card is functioning
correctly.

A couple of suggestions:  Make sure that you powered up the
devices in the proper order and that you are starting with
the default router settings (by pressing the Reset Button
for 3 seconds).  That way you are starting from a known set
of settings.  Also when you try to communicate with the
router through your PC browser, be sure to type in the
"HTTP://" before the "192.168.1.1".

Good luck,

Doug

<<< Robin wrote... >>>

Well, the network setup attempt was unsuccessful. Again,
here's the arrangement: 2 PCs - one running Windows 98 and
one running Windows ME. A DSL modem and Linksys Ethernet DSL
router (BEFSR41). Cat5 Ethernet cables for all connections -
straight through - if I hold the ends side by side (clip
down) the wires are exactly the same from left to right.
Everything is connected correctly - router to modem, PCs to
router. DSL modem is DHCP and the 2 PCs are set to use DHCP.
I cannot get either PC to communicate with
the router so that it can be configured. I can't even ping
the IP address (192.168.1.1) of the router. We tried
different cables, different ports on the router. Linksys
wanted me to upgrade the firmware for the router since the
link light for the port that the PC is connected to is
linking green instead of steady green. However, I was unable
to download the file this evening from their website. Will
try again tomorrow. In the meantime, outside of something
being wrong with the router, is there anything obvious that
I am missing?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml