Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:26:27 -0500
I used the cmd prompt and from C:\ I typed D and received an error message.

Someone suggested I look under adminstrative tools/computer
management/disk management.     It showed D: with no ntfs file
system.   The free space was the same as the capacity.     So, at
that point, I just gave in and formatted the drive.   I'll keep your
suggestion in mind of using the recovery console to try to repair the
MBR if it happens again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

At 04:01 PM 7/14/2008, you wrote:
>I notice that you have not yet received a response to your post, so
>I'll give it a try. First - you are right that a reformat of your D
>drive should be a last resort.
>
>I would try the following:
>Check the BIOS to make sure it is recognizing the D drive. Could be
>a mechanical or cable problem.
>Use the Command Prompt (start/programs/accessories/system tools) to
>try to access the D drive. It should start as a prompt to a location
>on the C drive. Just type "D:" (no quote marks) and you will either
>be at the prompt for the D drive or get an error message. If it does
>give a D prompt, type "dir" (no quotes) and it should list the
>folders on the D drive or you will get an error message. If
>everything seems OK, it may have been an erroneous message that you received.
>If not OK, use the recovery console to try to repair the MBR of the
>D drive. I've never done this, so I'm sorry that I can not give you
>any directions or assurances.
>
>I hope this helps. Others might have more/better input.
>
>Tom

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com