From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:32:28 -0700
> ....  However DNS is disabled on all 3  Win98se comps.  (I'm looking at
> the tcp/ip properties for the NIC).   They all use DHCP for WINS
> resolution.

  WINS is used to resolve NetBIOS computer names on the local network to IP
addresses.  DNS is used to resolve Internet host names to IP addresses; if
it were disabled, you'd be unable to get to things with names like
"www.yahoo.com".

  There *are* some situations where Windows will try first one and then the
other to resolve a name to an address, but if it's told not to use one of
them, it would be WINS.

  More likely, all three machines claim to be set to get the addresses of
DNS servers to use by way of DHCP.  It could be interesting to fire up the
"Command Prompt" and run "ipconfig /all" to see what server addresses
they're actually using for DNS....  Maybe the one with the problem is
getting set differently somehow.

David Gillett

On 19 Jul 2004 at 18:08, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> In a message dated 7/18/2004 10:01:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> This  looks like an attempt to report that the target hostname wasn't
> resolvable  via DNS.  That *usually* means that the "DNS server" settings in
> the  network configuration are incorrect.  (On 98SE, they're on a tab  under
> the TCP/IP Properties.)
>

> Dave,
> I can understand your reasoning.  However DNS is disabled on all 3  Win98se
> comps.  (I'm looking at the tcp/ip properties for the NIC).   They all use DHCP
> for WINS resolution.  I've checked/compared all 3 comps'  configs under
> Network Neighborhood and they are the same.  Yet the one comp  still gets that
> error.
>
> Can you recommend a way to troubleshoot this?  Looking at other  complaints
> about newdotnet, they mostly centered around replacing the  shdoclc.dll file.
> I've done that with no success.  Besides, I still  have no idea what that file
> has to do with getting on the internet.
>
> Kevin Nowicki
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: