From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:31:06 -0700
This is a good observation by Bill. Although I don't have the statistical
information that Bill is referring to, I do have another observation to
share. I have not had much personal experience with Western Digital drives,
but a friend who has told me that about two or three years ago, WD had a
very bad batch of drives that they produced. These particular drives did
experience a high rate of failure - much higher than that of other WD
drives. The unfortunate part is that WD did not acknowledge the problem till
consumers found out on their own. Perhaps this is why WD stock is down from
$40 a share to about $5!

The conclusion is that there are bad runs of drives possible with any
manufacturer. I had a small shipment of bad Seagate drives once. They did
not acknowledge any bad batches, but the replacements I got have been
working for years now.

Peter Shkabara, P.E.
Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - Sonora, CA