From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:02:39 -0400
Just to note, I have the Abit KT7A-RAID board with an Athlon Tbird 1ghz, 128
megs of Mushkin PC133 RAM, and two 13 gig Fujitsu drives in an Enlight case
with a 300 watt Antec power supply. The system has been rock stable since
day one. I recently installed a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64 meg video card
and a Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard, witht the same results, and thats
running Win 98 SE. I have yet to have the system lock up, although now I've
probably jinxed myself. :)

Glenn

> Paul:
> As you may be aware, there are problems with many motherboards (such as
> the Abit KT7A) that use 686B Southbridge chip that is part of the VIA
> KT133A chipset. A discussion of the current situation can be found at:
>
> www.viahardware.com/686bfaq.shtm.
>
> Note that systems with Creative SBLive cards are particularly
> vulnerable. When this mess first hit the fan in May, it was felt that
> the SBLive was the culprit; it took a while for some of the other
> problems to surface. The worst of these occurs when transferring very
> large files (>100 mb) from one drive to another -- your disks can be
> trashed.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml