From:
BELICEK Michal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:07:14 +0200
About 2 years ago I met a virus which resided in boot area and mbr area,
antivirus did not help, format did not help  and fdisk /mbr did not help
too. I think it is better to use some disk editor such as Norton Disk Editor
from boot floppy and edit mbr manually (set all bytes to 00 then use fdisk
/mbr) than using low level format, which can be very problematic. Best way
to protect hdd from boot viruses is to make a boot floppy with backup of mbr
a boot record made by some antivirus. When virus found then simply boot from
floppy and recover boot and mbr and all is fine :-)

Mike Belicek