From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:38:07 -0400
> Is there any serious loss in performance from extending the SVGA cable
from
> the standard to a 50' cable? I have read stories that a booster may be
needed.
> I need to move my 3 machines into a closet and to do so need to purchase
50'
> extensions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

    Well, it depends on what resolution you are using, but I'd have to say
with 50' you will notice SERIOUS degradation at any resolution you use. I
have a 3 meter (9 foot) cable that degrades 800x600 noticibly, the whole
screen is just a little more fuzzy. Granted I don't have an amazing cable
but SVGA signals need ALOT of bandwidth and the signals degrade very easily.
Just look at the original VOODOO 3d accelerator, it used a very short (a few
inches) pass through cable and the biggest complaint about that setup was
the degradation of the video signal at higher resolutions due to that cable.
A booster will help but finding a good one is difficult. Hope this helped,
TTYL

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html