Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 20:11:41 -0700
There was a post by someone having problems with certain CD's. I found this
at the Windrivers site and thought I'd pass it along
Brad Loomis

Windows 98 causes problem w/ certain CD-ROMs
(not a hardware problem!) by CP Edgin
Many problems w/ IDE CD-ROMs under Windows 98 have been mis-diagnosed as a
drive failure (such as erratic reads, spontaneous cd accesses, unreadable
CDs, disappearing drive letters, etc.). Some IDE ATAPI CD-ROMs in the OEM
channels are identifying themselves to the system as Ultra-DMA Mode 2.
Windows 98 will automatically configure itself for DMA access on setup. This
is the cause of the problems. This setting can be disabled by entering the
device manager and selecting Properties for the CD-ROM and then clicking the
Settings tab. Uncheck DMA and select OK. Windows will have to restart for
the change to take effect.

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**