From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:49:59 -0600
At 05:18 AM 10/26/1999 , you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>         I'm planning on upgrading my Pentium 133 and i would like some
>opinions.
>
>         What do you think about IBM harddisks, reliability/performance ?,
>i'm wondering because a 15Gb IBM HD Ultra66 7200rpm it's 25% cheaper (in
>Portugal) than a Quantum/Western Digital 12Gb!

The IBM drives are being discounted on the market, or so it has
been explained to me, to create a larger market share for IBM
drives.  From my experience so far, they are no worse or better
than Quantum or Western Digital...  my personal preference is
Seagate, (yes, I know that Quantum is a division of Seagate now...
but, all the bad Quantum drives I endured in the past leaves me
cold about them).

>         I'm considering using an AMD Athlon 500MHz, but i'm having
>problems with wich motherboard to use (GigaByte or Asus) ? And they are
>not easy to find...

You should be aware that ASUS does not at this time have a SlotA or
Athlon motherboard, or so I understand, on the market.

The manufacturer's with Athlon boards are:
     Gigabyte
     FIC
     Microstar
     Biostar
     BMC

All are well known brands and provide quality products, although
BMC is not as well known as the others.   You would probably do
well with any of these boards, so price and availability is probably
your deciding factor.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: