From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:47:52 -0500
You can get Creative Labs Ensoniq PCI w/ wave (a basic card, easy to
install, reliable) for well under $30 total cost, for example.  The system
you mentioned is not worth a $100+ investment to slightly enhance sound
quality.  Put that same money into better speakers (which retain value well
and enhance sound quality as much or more than the sound card).  Generic
sound card w/ wave can be had at under $20 total cost, but you need to know
the manufacturer (specs. can lie...do you see the MTBF listed?).  With that
old OS, you cannot use Direct Sound or Aureal 3D, so don't value these
features.
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]
> From:         Dean Kukral[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject:      [PCBUILD] Cheap Sound Card Sound Quality?
> The local dealer has some sound cards for about $20.  I
> hypothesize that these cards probably would have been
> state-of-the-art five years ago, and, therefore, would do
> fine for her - as opposed to spending nearly $100 for a
> current SB or the like, which would have all sorts of
> bells and whistles that she does not need.
> Am I correct, or are these cheapie sound cards likely to
> turn out to be junk?  (Sound-Quality wise.)
> (Her system is a P100, 32meg, Windows 3.1, DOS 6.1)

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html