From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:05:43 -0600
Holli Van Nest wrote:

> On March 17, Dave Gillett responded:
>
> >   This sounds kind of like some kind of "disk change" polling or
> > antivirus scan.  I'd fire up REGEDIT and search for reverences to
> > "A:"....
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I ran regedit and found several
> references to a:.  Some of them were to old files that had been
> opened from a disk, so I deleted those references.
>
> Three of the references were for MRU.  One was in HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
> InstallLocationsMRU.  The other two were in HKEY_USERS, Default,
> Windows, RunMRU and referenced a setup.exe file.

MRU stands for Most Recently Used, so these are very likely NOT the
cause of the floppy drive activity that you're seeing. My experience is
that if you wish, you may safely delete MRU values from the Registry,
but they don't usually cause any problems. I agree with David, this
sounds like a regularly scheduled activity, such as a virus scan. Have
you done a Control-Alt-Delete to see a list of currently running
programs? Perhaps some long forgotten virus checker is running in the
background? If you 'End Task' everything except Explorer and Systray,
does the drive activity still occur?

Jeff Delzer

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]