From:
D Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:29:28 -0700
At 20:00 9/8/2005, Tom wrote:
>I had a total Linksys system including wireless router, signal booster and
>high gain directional antennae as well as adapters. The Linksys router
>stopped working on wireless after about a year and the second router did the
>same after about six months. I always had problems trying to maintain a
>consistent signal. It would range from very low to very good within minutes
>throughout the house without any apparent reason. After the last one gave
>up, I replaced the router, signal booster and directional antennae with a
>cheap Belkin router figuring that it would be disposable like the Linksys
>routers.

Did you upgrade any firmware?  On the Linksys site, there are quite a
few of them.  Man, I hate to think that the first order of business
is for them to replace all the equipment.

David wrote:
>So there are potentially three wireless "hops":
>
>- WAP#1 to signal booster
>- signal booster to range extender
>- range extender to WAP#2
>
>   Is it possible that two of these hops are trying to use the same channel,
>and so interfering with each other?

Actually, 4 if you include the wireless D-Link router.  Now, that
confuses me.  Why have a wireless router AND a WAP?  Is it because
the WAPs and Signal Booster need to be the same brand?  It seems to
me that that's where the signals get crossed (or whatever it is that
they do).  Those 3 boxes are stacked...would it help if I moved WAP
#1 and the Signal Booster away from the router?

>  I'm afraid that all of the wireless I've worked with so far has only used
>it for the last hop, from a router or WAP to one or more wireless client
>NICs.  We did talk about various types of intermediate wireless links in the
>CWNA certification class I took, but I haven't had to actually work with
>them yet; the signal booster and range extender may not work wuite the way
>I'm imagining.

I can't figure out that last sentence, sorry.  I took 2 semesters
toward a CompTIA N+ cert, but haven't gone beyond that.  Fascinating stuff.

Thanks,
Diane