From:
John Hajinlian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:27:55 -0500
I, too, am looking for a HDD backup solution that will allow me to do a
complete copy of a Win2k drive so I can remove the source drive, install the
backup drive in its place, then reboot to a running system.

When I upgraded/replaced HDDs in Win9x machines, I used XCOPY /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y
or XXCOPY's /clone command to copy the old drive to a new drive. I then
removed the old drive, change the jumpers on the new drive to "master" and
rebooted and was back in operation as usual. This doesn't work with Win2k. I
suspect because some critical file or files are locked during backup because
they're in use and never make it to the backup drive.

This is what's keeping me from switching from Win9x to 2k. I change drives
every year or so and I don't want to have to reinstall the OS and all the
programs. Any tips on how to get an exact backup will be a great help.

Thanks.

- John
www.hajinlian.net