From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:51:15 -0700
Dianne wrote;
>After the computer crashed, I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro.
>FOLLOW THERE STEPS TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM:
>CHECK TO MAKE SURE NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED.
>IF PROBLEM PERSISTS DISABLE OR REMOVE NEWLY INSTALLED HARDWARE OR >SOFTWARE
-DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CHACHING OR SHADOWING >TECHNICAL INFO:
STOP: 0X0000008E KMIXER.SYS - ADDRESS FAE30B08

>I dont understand, I was installing the operating system, no hardware >was
attached to the computer except the mouse and the monitor and the >keyboard.

The problem you are having is probably based on the Windows NT & 2000 32 bit
Kernel. I won't go into a lot of technical jargon but it may help to
understand the root of the problem.

WDM or Windows Driver Module which has been a part of most Windows operating
systems since, (if memory serves me correctly) Windows 95 to date. WDM
provides a common driver for streaming video and audio. It was designed to
take the burden off the CPU. The CPU has enough to do and the more we demand
of it, more problems may arise.

Microsoft said there may be a problem in Windows 2000 and the "KMIXER.SYS"
may crash when you tried to play music. In your case, while trying to
install the operating system it freezes at the point of recognizing the
sound chip. This is my theory.

The instructions that were given on the screen when the problem occurred;
"REMOVE NEWLY INSTALLED HARDWARE OR >SOFTWARE -DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS
SUCH AS CHACHING OR SHADOWING" You indicated that you didn't have "any
hardware" attached. This leads me to believe that your sound and possibly
video are "Built in" to the board. If this is the case there are several
options to try. Disabling the sound in the BIOS was suggested and you surly
could try this to see if that will alleviate the problem or at least
identify it. Temporarily disabling this feature is a diagnostic procedure.

Going to your mother board manufacture's site may help locate the problem by
investigating settings or driver patches. The other possibility may be your
BIOS is out of date and the Mfg may have an update that could fix this
problem. If you choose this approach, please do so with caution. Botched
BIOS flashes or upgrades will render your system toast with little or no
chance for recovery.

In one portion of the OS install process it will give notice that if you
have any "third party" drivers or SATA related hardware, depress such and
such and install them. Again the manufacturer's site may have drivers that
need to be installed prior to finishing the install process. This is a shot
in the dark.

This is unrelated and is a suggestion. I would give some consideration to
increasing your memory. The minimum I would use for XP is 512mb. If you can
afford it, go to 1gig.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers