From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 13:54:42 -0800
Sorry to hear of your problems Robert. I had the misfortune to run into the
same thing recently. Indeed, Norton would not help me, and Partition Magic
only told me that there was a problem, as if I did not already know that!
The result was that I had to learn what a partition table is and fixed it
myself manually. Really, I learned a lot more than I really wanted to. :)

There were three tools that helped me with this. One was Norton Disk Edit.
Although NDE did not repair the problem, it did show me the values in the
partition table. A second program that I can highly recommend is Ranish
Partition Manager - file name prtionmg.zip - which is sort of
shareware/freeware. It is $10 to register, but for individual use, the
author gives something like a 30 year license! Read the doc file for exact
interpretation. Anyway, Ranish helped explain what was wrong, but did not in
itself fix it.

The program that allowed me to fix the problem was Hex Works
http://www.bpsoft.com/ which allow for direct editing of the hard disk -
including the partition table. This is semi-commercial shareware. Cost is
$49.95 and is well worth it.

I have written an MS Word file description of the partition table structure
which may be of help. Here is a link to my web page to get the doc file:
http://columbia.yosemite.cc.ca.us/shkabarap/downloads.htm
Hope this solves your problem. Let me know if it does.

Peter Shkabara
http://pesh.what.cc