From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:02:48 -0600
Assuming that this printer/cable combo worked OK on the previous system
and that neither was damaged during the move to the new motherboard, I'd
begin the search by looking at the parallel port properties in the BIOS.
Be sure that it is Enabled, that the address is 0378h, and that an IRQ
(7?) is assigned. I believe these are the defaults. (Also check in
System / Device Manager to ensure that these same resources are being
used there for LPT1.) While looking at the BIOS settings, check the mode
of the port to be sure it matches what the printer requires and expects,
i.e., SPP, EPP, or ECP. Hopefully this will get you started in the right
direction, assuming you haven't already tried these suggestions. Just to
completely rule out cable or printer problems, do you have another
machine you can temporarily test these on? Does the printer self-test
work ok?

Jeff Delzer

Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

> A few days ago I installed a new Mobo (VA 503+,VIA Apollo Chipset and AMD
> K66-2/350)
> O/S is Win98
> I couldn't have done it withoput all the help from the list, but apparently
> I didn't learn enough, because my Canon  BJC4400 no longer works.
> I've double-checked the LPT1 connection on the board , swapped for a known
> good cable, and Nada! Have re-installed several times, but there seems to be
> no communication .
> LPT! is recognized in Device Manager and there are no conflicts.
> Any suggestions?

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]