From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 07:24:03 +0000
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 Marc Montminy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I built a machine for a friend (PII 300) that is having an unussual heat
>problem. It uses software/Hardware system monitoring IE: system fan speed,
>cpu temp, voltage monitoring ect. The cpu heat goes to max in about an hour
>(120f) and I don't know why. He has a cpu fan , a case fan, and a fan in the
>power supply. He is in a dirty environment however. Could this be the cause
>or am I missing something?

Dirt is not a cooling problem until it has built up into a layer:
unlikely on a newly-built machine (but worth a regular service check).

You have two fans ventilating the case: are they co-operating
(one pumping in, one pumping out) or fighting each other?

Air is a poor cooling medium because of its low density:
you need to move a _lot_ of it to carry your heat away
with only a small temperature differential.

Back pressure severely lowers the volume output of an axial fan.

The two fans should be turning your case into a wind-tunnel.
If, instead, they are trying to pump it up or suck it empty,
the net effect may be much worse than either on its own, depending
on how evenly balanced they are and how leaky your case is.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com