From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 08:32:30 -0500
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:06:25 -0500, "Randy J. Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
posted article <[log in to unmask]>, which said:

> ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!  I'm been worried that because of a report that was
> posted said that the GeForce video card was installed on a Soyo
> motherboard, it was fine for one year then the video card was failing
> and even when antother one was inserted in the Soyo motherboard's AGP
> slot, no video was displayed!!!!!!!!!  Does this mean that a GeForce
> video card will fail with motherboard getting fried if I have a Soyo
> motherboard???  However, that person that posted I believe said that he
> or she overclocked the bus on motherboard.  But, I have another major
> worry, that if my motherboard has a Via chipset, the GeForce video card
> will have messed up graphics that can't be fixed (distorted video and/or
> tearing).  HELP!!!!!!!!!

I have an Abit KT7A-RAID with the VIA KT133A chipset and I use a Creative
Labs Annihilator 2 Ultra, based on nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra chipset.  I even
have an SBLive Platinum 5.1 and AGP 4x enabled and I don't have any of the
problems many others seem to experience except crackling audio when I
capture both audio and video together.  On a side note, I get around this
problem by capturing video, then audio, then assembling them into one file.
No pops.  Sort of a headache to go through the extra steps, but it does
result in a much better sounding audio/video file.

I built this system back in mid-March and I have no complaints.  I built the
most powerful thing money could buy at that time, starting with the
KT7A-RAID mobo, whose reviews I liked.  Now I'm anxious to upgrade to a
GeForce 3 and an AMD Athlon 1400 or more.

Only thing I can really think of that can cause just video path to go out is
a piece of trash might have been on the card or in the AGP slot which
bridged the connectors and shorted something out.  That happened to a
keyboard I had once.  Some trash got down into the keyboard and shorted out
one of the printed circuit pathways.  Too bad motherboards only come with
one AGP slot.  He could have tried the second one to see if it worked.  Or
he could try an older PCI video card. :-)

Ethan