From:
Chris Rivenbark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:52:21 -0700
I loaded the latest Win98 Chipset (Intel 430TX) drivers for the mobo.  Got the
correct version of Win98 cab files (Win98 first ed.) on the system.  Physically
removed NIC.  Removed and re-installed all networking "components" (Clients,
Protocols, Services).  Re-installed NIC.  The boot up was still nearly 2 minutes
following P.O.S.T.

Changed the PCI slot of the NIC to the 2nd PCI slot (under video CCA) and the
system locked up booting in to Windows.  Changed the position of the NIC again -
this time to the lowest PCI slot (ISA shared slot).  (Dropped ISA sound CCA down
one ISA slot to accomodate this move.)  That cut the boot time in half (to right at
1 minute following P.O.S.T.) - networking function is returned (can see local
system and other nodes on the LAN now in Network Neighborhood).  The improvement is
significant enough to warrant a halt to this battle and move on to others.  I am,
however, still open to feed back re: the cause of this problem and why moving the
NIC to a different PCI slot improved the situation.  I'm sure I'll see this again
sometime.

Note: The mobo has no AGP slot - and, one cannot assign IRQ's to expansion slots on
this  board.  The slots can only be designated PnP or Legacy ISA.

Thanx again to all who contributed.  I really appreciate your taking the time to
help.

--
Chris Rivenbark