From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:29:11 -0800
On 12 Mar 99, at 13:05, Holli Van Nest wrote:

> I've got a Pentium Pro 266 computer with 64 Mb RAM and a 4Gb hard
> drive computer running Windows '95 4.00b.  It's also got a 32x CD-ROM and
> a Ditto Tools Iomega external tape backup.

  This is an odd combination.  Some parts of the Win95 core are still
using 16-bit code, and the Pentium Pro does that relatively slowly.  Most
Pentium Pros are running NT or some Unix variant as servers -- their
price never really came down into consumer levels.

> Every 5 minutes or so, the computer tries to read the floppy drive,
> and there's no disk in it.  The drive spins away for about 10
> seconds, then stops.  Five minutes later, it starts again.  It
> doesn't seem to be causing any problem, but the user finds it
> annoying.  Any suggestions?

  This sounds kind of like some kind of "disk change" polling or
antivirus scan.  I'd fire up REGEDIT and search for reverences to
"A:"....

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html