From:
Dale Mentzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 06:42:42 -0500
Hello listers,

I thought I would update you about the outcome of my problem with the drive that was apparently scrambled by lightning.

I installed the drive as slave on another PC running XP Pro and booted that machine. Before getting to the login screen, XP id'ed the drive and detected a problem with it. It then ran  the CheckDisk repair program (I think). After displaying a long list of files and directories it was repairing the system continued booting. The drive was then visible with Explorer and appeared to be completely intact. I ran the CheckDisk program again, copied the data I had hoped to recover and then reinstalled the HD in the original PC.

The original PC then proceeded to boot normally and I was able to login to one of the accounts. So far everything appears as normal and I was quite amazed that XP was able to repair the drive so completely. I am going to play with it a little while before I give it back and thought others might recommend a course of action to check things out before I return it. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dale Mentzer

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>