From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 07:23:42 -0700
What burning software are you using on his machine to do this operation
with? There might be an incompatibility between the hardware and whatever
application you are using. Another thought is a dirty, misaligned, or
malfunctioning laser assembly in the drive that is giving you issues. In
either case, swapping the drive for a known good seemed to "fix" your
problem, so replacing the drive in question might be just what the doctor
ordered. Yet another thought that occured to me is the media you are using
to burn data to. It may pay in the long run to spend a buck or two extra per
pack of discs to get quality media that won't fail as often. I use Memorex
almost exclusively with no coasters, but your milage may vary. Find a brand
that your drive will digest with a minimum of errors and happy burning.

P.S.: More RAM in your machine never hurts. XP is fairly piggish on memory,
and Vista is even more so, if you decide to upgrade down the road.