Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:31:08 GMT
Hi,
I have seen problems with the polarity of the phone jack not letting some systems work.
Does this happen in all the phone jacks in your home?
Years ago I had a polarity tester that I used when wiring new installations.
Try reversing the wires going to the center two pins in the phone jack.
In older installations they are red & green.
The newer multi-line cables have several more colors, you are looking for what is connected to the center two pins.
Hope this helps.
Clint Worley
Worley Technology

I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows XP 2000 Home from Best Buy a couple of months ago.  At first, it intermittently would not pick up a dial tone; now it won't pick one up at all.

  Best Buy could not replicate the problem, i.e., it dialed in everytime they tried it in their store, and said they couldn't help.

  I called the Toshiba 1-800 number, they had me do a system restore; when that didn't work, they told me to take the laptop to their authorized dealer.

  The authorized dealer found a faulty modem and replaced it.  When I got the laptop home, it still would not pick up a dial tone and gave a "no dial tone" message.  However, when I called the Toshiba dealer, they said it worked in their shop just as it did at Best Buy.

  Naturally everyone's first thought was my home telephone line is faulty in some manner; and I would think that, too, except my other Toshiba laptop has no problems picking up a dial tone.  It dials right in, and I'm typing on it now.  I have taken the phone cable from the working laptop and connected it to the one I'm having problems with, and no dial tone.

  When I told the authorized dealer folks another computer in the house worked just fine, they said their next step would be to order and  replace the cable that runs between the modem and computer telephone jack. They'll call me when it's in.

  I've asked Toshiba about replacing the laptop I've just bought, and they say they have a no replacement policy.  So if something can't be done about the new but non-functional Toshiba laptop, I am out a lot of money because it's paid for.

  Does anyone have ideas beyond replacing the modem and cable?

  Many thanks -

  Anne Neighbors

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com