From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 18:49:43 -0400
> The typical mother board has two IDE channels with two devices allowed on
> each channel, usually referred to as primary and secondary (or sometimes
> master and slave). The question is: when attaching only one device to a
> channel, is it necessary to attach it to the primary (or master)
> connection? Or is it possible to leave that empty and attach one device
> (such as a CD-ROM drive) to the secondary (slave) connection only?

     Most of the time, no, as long as it isn't a hard drive it shouldn't be
a problem, however... there was one case where the secondary master wasn't
recognized with no primary slave. Yes it took me about 1 hour to figure out
that was the problem. It was the only system I had ever seen that had that
problem. My recommendation, try it, if it doesn't work than you know that is
probably the problem and try something else. TTYL

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org