From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:08:04 -0800
On  5 Jan 99 at 11:30, William Hornkohl wrote:

>   I just ordered a barebones system from a local supplier (accubyte)
> It has an Abit BH6 board with a Celeron 300A chip with a fan and
> floppy drive installed in an ATX Mid tower case ($279) I bought a
> 128 meg dimm of pc100 SDRAM memory from Crucial Technology ($222).
> I would like to pull the 6X cd-rom drive, sound card, modem, PCI
> video card, and hard drive out of my Micron P133 system and install
> them into the new one (at least for now). Since the new system will
> use alot of the old hardware is there a chance I will be able to
> leave everything on the hard drive and just plug it into the new
> system.  Everything is working good now, and that doesn't happen
> very often.  I doubt it's that easy. Does my plan seem OK

  ALMOST everything should be fine.  Specific chipset components,
though, such as the PCI bridge and the EIDE controller are likely to
change, and so if you run an OS (Win9x) that cares about these, you
may avoid a certain amount of frustration by forcing the OS to re-do
its hardware detection.  [There's a fairly easy way to do it by
deleting a subtree in the registry, but I don't have the details in
front of me -- and you haven't mentioned what OS you use.]

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html