From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:30:12 -0400
In theory, you can mix edo and ftp simms as an installed pair in a 486
motherboard design. On a Pentium motherboard, a pair or simms have to match
but you can install two different matched pairs. Pentiums have double the
memory data bus width of a 486, so 72 pin simms (edo or ftp) were installed
in pairs to fill the entire bus, and consequently the pair had to be the
same size. In practice, you have to follow the manual, probably because of
cost cutting in the design of the board.  When the manual doesn't explicitly
prohibit it, I have sometimes found weird simm combinations that worked.
Back to the main thread, be aware of the difference between single sided 256
meg sdram and other types.  Your board may require a particular model of
ram.  Check out www.Kingston.com for its memory configurator.
Tom Turak