From:
Cal Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:54:56 -0400
Hi All....

My brother has a 3 computer network with Linksys router at his office
that I've set up, and unfortunately he's out in the boonies and can only
get slooooooow dialup, which I've set up internet connection sharing on
one of his machines to share one dialup between the 3.  It "works", but
it's not pretty when you try to do Windows updates on 3 machines..... :-(

He has a phone line and a fax line going into the office, and I'm
thinking I'd like to try to use the multilink ability in XP to double
his bandwith to something a little more tolerable.

Does anybody have any experience with this??  Is it mandatory to have
both modems in the same machine (would be problematic, since the
machines are separated in a way that would make it tough to run a phone
line/cable for the 2nd modem) or can they be in different machines??

I talked briefly with tech support at his ISP, and he didn't think
there'd be a problem logging in twice on separate phone lines, but the
MS tech article I found indicates that there has to be some kind of PPP
multilink setup/configuration on their end.  Anybody know if this is
true and/or absolutely necessary??

Here's the article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307849&sd=tech

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated

Cal Peters
Grandville, MI

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml