From:
Jim Killmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 06:22:17 -0400
Hi Bob,

If your using PCL 5 or better try the full font request...
        <Esc>(ON<Esc>(s0p16.67h8.5v0s0b0T
I've found that you have to use the full exact font definition to insure
that the printer does not subtitute. I have heard that the newer PCL 3
printers do not have a resident fixed font for what thats worth. I have
had no problems with fixed fonts on PCL 5 or better printers.

Another alternative is to preload a soft font to the printer.

Jim Killmaster

"Robert F. Decker" wrote:

> >Jerry Rasmussen
>                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
> ---Many thanks guys for your comments.  Yes I'm using a fixed font, --in
> fact the very one mentioned by HP in their example accompanying the Command
> code listings. i.e." The fixed Spacing command must be used with the Print
> Pitch command and the Courier or Letter Gothic typefaces.  For example, to
> select a 17 char-per-in (CPI) Letter Gothic font, use the comands Ec(s0P,
> Ec(s17H, and Ec
> (s6T in that order".  This actually most closely matches the "Line Printer"
> typeface I used on a previous incarnation of the program, printing to a
> TIMicroLaser printer.  The "Line Printer" typeface is a fixed 16.66 CPI, a
> value apparently not available to the PCL coding.
>   A further perplexity is that if I print a top row border line, left corner
> char---string of horizontal line segments---right border, then print next
> row starting with a Vertical segment, just empty spaces for same # of
> characters as previous row of horizontal segments, and terminate with
> another vertical segment, it all lines up Ok, and I can print a complete
> empty rectangular border all in proper alignment.However if  this second row
> and subsequent rows contains mixed spaces and text characters, as required
> to print the desired chart, the misalignmnet occurs.
>   One guess is the statement by HP in the document sheet that the 1120C uses
> internal scalable fonts (exclusively I guess), instead of any
> (completely)-fixed pitch, fonts which results in a little software
> hocus-pocus when a fixed pitch is specified and there may be something akin
> to round off errors in fix pitching text characters of inherently different
> widths to make them all fit in the same width boundary boxes.
>    Guess there aren't many actual users of the PCL code around--was hoping I
> might bump in to at least one.
>    I'll keep trying and also try to jog HP into expanding a little on their
> sketchy documentation.
> Cheers,
>   Bob Decker
>
>             PCBUILD maintains many useful files for download
>               on our web site - visit our download page at:
>                      http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>