Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:26:01 EST
Greetings All,
 My mother has a eMachines model T2642 with 2.60g celeron which she
basically uses as a word processor. After great-grandsons got online and picked  up a
wicked virus, I used a oem xp disc to re-format and reload windows instead  of
going through trying to clean out the virus
(since all she used was the word processor and had no documents saved). It
booted up and worked fine till we had a multiple power surge/power loss (on and
 off 3 or 4 times).
 Even though connected to a surge protector which kicked its breaker,  the
computer no longer had power. I pulled the PS and saw the board inside it  had
burned spots so I replaced it with a Turbo 350 watt I had laying around. Now
it powers up but freezes during the xp splash screen. The progress bar travels
across a couple of times then just stops.
 I tried to enter bios but got the screen to select startup options  (nornal,
safe, etc.). After turning off and restarting I found it was going to  this
screen on its on. There is no response to the keyboards (tried two PS1
keyboards) so I can't even get to the bios.
 My main questions are...
Could this be a propriatory hardware problem with the PS?
 and...
Would using the jumper to clear the CMOS be a step to try? If not, any  other
ideas?
 Many Thanks,
Phillip Williams

                     support at our newest website: