From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:46:17 +1000
Phil writes:
"I've been looking at TVs and monitors to go with my most recent build."

The 64-dollar question is:

How far away are you going to be from the monitor/TV???

If it's going to be across the room in your lounge, you'll want the biggest
TV you can afford.  No question.

But if it's just going to be a desktop job with monitor right in front of
you (as I suspect from your query) then 32" is probably the max  you'll want.

All I can give you is my own recent experience, which may or may not equate
to your situation.

I recently bought a new 15.6" HP laptop at runout price of $350 (probably a
lot less in US). I wasn't expecting much, because I have a pathological
abhorence of laptops in general (though I do admit they do have their uses.)

But I must say I'm blown away by its audio and graphics performance. I now
have all my considerable collection of classic music, and all my movies, on
its hard drive, and have it set up as my primary hometheatre. Sound
quality, playing straight into a Yamaha amp and full set of Polk speakers,
is superior to my home-made desktop with the top-of-range Creative Titanium
Soundblaster sound card from 3 years ago.

Using the brilliant (and free) KM Player, it plays blue-ray and HD movies
flawlessly into my new 42" domestic LED TV set at its maximum1920
resolution and using HDMI connection. KMPlayer even allows it to play
downloaded HD 3D movies in various formats, although the TV is not a 3D
model. Sure, if I look really closely, I can see slight lag in
documentaries in slo-mo panning, but it's hardly noticeable. Your upgraded
video card would take care of that.

Sorry I can't be more help with the specifics you asked for, but my
suggestion would be to go for the largest screen you can afford
commensurate with reasonable quality, determined largely by the distance at
which you are going to view it (and the quality of your eyesight!). That's
something you might want to consider.

Don Penlington

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml