From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:15:24 -0600
At 08:08 AM 9/10/98 , Brad Loomis wrote:
>Hi,
>What I would like to know is how to set the drive letter for my CD-ROM
>before I install Win95. After fdisk and format and installing drivers, it
>defaults to "D". I would like to change that in DOS to X or Z so all CD's
>will be directed to that letter rather than the default D. I tried various
>forms of the /l switch, but I guess I don't know the right way to do this. I
>can do in Device Manager after installing Win95, but I would like to do
>prior to that point.

You can set your CD drivers in the autoexec.bat to designate your CD
rom as any letter you wish, such as "Z", as follows:

c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001  /L:Z

The "L" switch is proper for this, as you mentioned.

The problem you may be finding is when Win95 loads beyond the
autoexec.bat it will unload the MSCDEX driver in the autoexec.bat
and reload it's own MSCDEX driver,  even if it is the same driver
from the same directory.

So...  this MSCDEX driver loaded in the autoexec.bat file will only work
for you in DOS and not if you load windows.  If you wish the same drive
letter in Win95, you must use the device manager to set it.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**