From:
Nick Torraca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:16:18 -0500
Hello all,
I just got hooked up to Roadrunner cable internet service. I have three
Windows 98se computers connected through a Linksys 4 port router. We do file
and print sharing among the computers and Netbui is installed. I am getting
about 50kbs download speeds. I backed up my registries and have experimented
with some of the speed tweaks. Nothing seems to have much effect, but
raising the tcp/ip receive window to 32767 seemed to help on one machine.
Other machines already had higher settings. One machine had no maxMTU
registry entry. I was having poor performance dialing in on that unit.
Anyway, I don't know what made me try it, but I forced one network card to
100mbs, half duplex. Download speed seems to be consistently around 300kbs
now. I tried dropping back to half duplex on the other machines with similar
great results. My question is, what I have I done and is there a downside or
another underlying problem? Also, I would like to maintain reasonable
dial-in quality. As I said, I have no MTU entries on the one machine that
has been horrible at dialing in. How can I restore all of the tcp/ip stuff
to original settings? I tried removing and re-installing DUN, but its still
not there. There are other related things missing too. Looks like somebody
already ran a cable speed tweak on the dialup. I'd like to get everything
back to original and experiment from there. Do I need the Netbui to do file
and print sharing? I'm wondering if that has something to do with half
duplex mode fixing things. My little network work well for me, but I'm
getting over my head. Thanks for any guidance here. -Nick

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com