From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:45:05 -0400
At 12:40 AM 07/15/2000 Reuven Freuman wrote:
>I just purchased Compaq Presario 7598. It includes an integrated 2X AGP
>3D graphics controller with Intel 810e chipset, with up to 8 Mb ram.
>Compaq describes it as "integrated 64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D
>graphics".
>
>The motherboard has only PCI expansion slots available. I am primarily
>interested in resolution, contrast and clarity, not really games.
>
>1.  If I upgrade to a PCI card - would I gain anything?
>
>2.  If the answer is yes - which card should I consider?

AGP video runs on the Front-side (local) bus which is faster than the
standard 33-MHz PCI bus-based video card.

The only likely scenario where a PCI card will outperform the AGP is where
the PCI card is processing certain graphics onboard the card at a higher
speed with a wider bus with more (and faster) RAM, and where the AGP has to
off-load graphics processing to the CPU and is forced to use main memory to
store data. This is usually the case in 3D graphics processing for games
and CADD.

If the AGP video refresh rate is sufficient (say, over 75Hz at top
resolution), then a PCI replacement will not likely improve your video.
You should add the maximum video RAM to your AGP subsystem ("UP" it to the
8MB). This will give you more colors at higher resolution without going off
the video subsystem to main memory.  Contrast and clarity is more likely
improved by a better monitor. HTH.

Regards,

John Chin

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions