From:
Iz Kuzara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 13:38:28 +1100
Hi All --

I was finally able to solve my previous booting problem. But I have to
grin and bear it now not being able to use any application for about 2
or 3 minutes as it loads Winfax 8 on the taskbar. That is the least of
my problem at the moment.  My problem is that today, I found my CD drive
does not/cannot read any data from any of my application CDs. I changed
CDs several times to make sure it is not the CDs I put in, but all of
them turned out the same results. I would like to know if someone out
there knows how I can resolve this problem. I have not had this
experience before.

My system is:

PII 233
Epox  EP61LXA-M mobo with AGP/USB
24Hex Diamond Data CDR
Matrox Millenium II graphics accelerator card
3.2 GB Western Digital
2.5GB Quantum Siriocco
5.1GB Matrox
HP scanner and printer
SBAWE32 sound card with IDE connector

The CDR is connected to the sound card. All my hdds are operating at
FAT32 for the last 2 days as I had just formatted them and removed the
partitions. Before this, yesterday, because it is taking my computer
quite a bit of time for it to be use to me, I played with my
autoexec.bat and config.sys to see what is causing the delay. I started
putting "REM" on my driver's configuration.

autoexec.bat is as follows:

SET CTCM=C:\WINDOWS
@ECHO OFF
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V

config.sys is as follows:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
DEVICE=c:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /P:170,15 /P:1E8,12
/P:168,10

If I REMmed out the first line on my autoexec.bat, I can't find my
CDROM, so I left it at that. Then I started REMming both lines of my
config.sys. Still no CDROM. I removed the REM statement one by one and
only loaded one of them, the same problem with slow access to windows. I
left both of them without the REM attachment and it gives me an error
that driver is already loaded so it unload the driver.

I have checked my System Mangler and there is no yellow mark, nor red
mark into any of them and despite that did not believe there are no
problems, so I checked the settings of each and every one of them to see
if any device in there would have a conflict or is said to be working
properly. They are, but still have the same problem -- my CDR can't read
any data from any CDs I put in there, both audio, program and plain
data. There wasn't any files that exists. The directory completely shows
blank.

I have also ran RegClean, the latest version, and checked for errors. It
found nothing. I do not know where else to look.

Can someone please help me?

Iz Kuzara