From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 17:31:43 -0400
Loy Pressley wrote:
 > I have a Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem in my
 > computer, a Dell Dimension L800r with 512 megs of ram, running at 800
 > MHz.  My operating system is WinME.  I have never been able to connect
 > to my ISP at any speed greater than 28.8.

Hi Loy

Where I live, in a city, the phone company frequently divides one
phone line (from the pole) into two lines (either to create a line
for each of two houses or to get two separate lines for one house).
 From what I've heard, the phone company has the right to do this...
even if a customer asks them not to.

If you have this situation, you'll never get over a 28.8 connection,
even if both you and your ISP have 56K capable modems. I don't know
the technical details of this "multiplexing", but neither line is
capable of working past 28.8.

Just another possibility to consider to explain your problem.

I'd have figured that if both you and your ISP have 56K capable
equipment, at some time or other (unless you have a configuration
problem) you'd get a connection higher than 28.8, if just for a few
moments.

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: