From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:16:04 -0700
At 05:57 PM 12/09/2000, you wrote:
>Hi....... My name is Kevin. I've got a privatly built computer and I have the following
>problems. Some while back, I downloaded one of those peices of shareware that McAfee
>puts out that was supposed to "clean up disc space". Anywhoos.....to make a long story
>short. With this program, my HIMEM.SYS was accedently deleted and I can no longer load
>my Win98. I've had no luck reformatting.....deleting my current Win98.....boot disc
>doesn't do me any good either<i aint profficient in the DOS commands>. What I'm thinking
>that I'm gonna have to do is take my machine to a "computer doctor" and have it fixed.
>Therein lies my question. Can anybody give me a ball park figure of how much this is
>gonna cost me to get fixed at a computer repair shop? And.....how long should this fix
>take? Any information that anyone could give me will be greatly appreciated. Oh
>Yeah......when I do take my 'puter to the shop, what exactly should I take with it<as in
>monitor...keyboard...mouse....ect.>

We have numerous guides on our web site that will lead you through
formatting and reinstalling Windows98.   Typically, although this seems
like a difficult thing to do, it actually should go quite smoothly and most
people have little, if any problems with this operation.
    Visit:  http://www.freepctech.com  and click on the Guides section.
This is a good opportunity to learn how to reload your operating system.
Worse case here is that even if you fail in this project, a tech can still
format your hard drive and install WIndows98 with little effort.

As far as visiting a professional tech to have this done, I would charge
a customer $50 to format and install Windows98.  It should take no more
than 2 hours.   I never accept any more than the computer, no monitor,
keyboard or mouse.  The main reason is I hate to keep track of a
customer's components.  As a professional, I have all of these I need.
The computer, ( I really hate the term: 'puter', by the way ), takes up
enough room on my shelf without taking up more room for monitors,
keyboards and a mouse.

If you need good boot disks, we also have these on our web site:
  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml   just download the file, put
a floppy disk in the drive and execute the file.  It will build you a complete
boot disk.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

ps.  For anyone who notices, we are in the process of moving our web
based free help from http://nospin.com   to  http://freepctech.com  and
we should have the move completed by January 1st, at least that is
my hope.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html