Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:48:41 -0800
Hey Carl.

Just thought I'd give my 0.02c on overclocking.  I've recently looked into
it from the intel chip end, though I imagine that the AMD's will be similar
(hmmm....maybe the wife will let me try hers??? ;) ).

First, let me recommend reading something like Tom's Hardware section on o/c
(http://www.tomshardware.com) and recommend doing a HOTBOT search on AMD +
overclocking for more detailed info.

Intel lock the multiplier on most of the new chips, so the choices of
overclocking are somewhat limited.  Usually only by increasing the bus
speed.  I seem to recall that the jump on the bus speed for the 350's was
too much for the intel chips to handle...but that IS intel (not AMD!).
Check the specs! ;)

The risk - couple of things when considering o/c.

1.  It may not be successful.
2.  It may fry the chip.
3.  They run HOT!!!  Cooling is essential!

I put in a Celeron retail on an ABIT board.  ABIT's allow configuration from
the "soft menu" of the Front Side Bus speed and chip voltage.  I paid $278
for the combo (that's Canadian bucks, which at our wonderful exchange rate
is about $5.00 US!! *actually ~$180US).  The retail fan combo is sufficient
to run an o/c chip - which is extremely important - heat on the chip will
cause lockups and errors & potentially fry the chip!!!  Get good
cooling....nuff said! :)

The 300A runs at 66mhz FSB - I upped it to 100mhz which gives ~450mhz
performance.  In doing so, I had to increase the chip voltage (from 2.0 - to
2.1 which occasionally locked - to 2.2 which runs stable).  More voltage =
greater heat = better cooling required! ;)  Also PC100 ram is essential
(regular DIMMs may just lock up at 100mhzFSB!).

Is it worth it???  Honestly, yes!  But for $170CDN for a new chip, it's a
gamble I can afford.  If you can afford it, try it.  I actually use it
mostly for games (I just can't type that fast) but don't play games that
often (real life gets in the way!).  With the ABIT, I can adjust the chip
speed for just the session with a couple of keystrokes.  Meaning most of the
time, I'm not running too hot...seems to work well for me!

Good luck!

Justin Twyford

> Just picked up an AMDk6-2 350mhz proc and board.. contemplating
> overclocking it.. curious as to see what the general thoughts on
> overclocking is... good/bad? worthwhile considering wear`n`tear?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html