From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:53:50 -0700
>Dear List,
>
>We have a local ISP that is advertising a new dial-up connection that is 5
>times faster than "regular" dial-up connections.  I was always under the
>impression that the connection is only as fast as your telephone line can
>send and receive.  I know they are not going to put in new phones lines
>for people who subscribe, so how is this possible?  Any thoughts or
>comments on this out there?
>
>Just Curious,
>
>Cindy Sanderson

These services use data compression and server caching.  What this means is
that they use their computers to anticipate and store the information that
you may request.  So, when you request a web site, the server will have a
copy saved for you and you will get it faster since you don't have to
retrieve it from the actual web site.  This is hit and miss though (as  you
can imagine.)  Also, it will not speed up downloads of files (music, photos
etc.)  It will only speed up your viewing of web pages.

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net