From:
Bruce Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:13:44 -0700
David,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Oh, and thank you!

OK, the talk about the chipsets was a bit over my head. But what you did do was point me in the direction I needed to go. Ergo, I did searches on my computer for "Proset", "Intel" and "BroadCom" to find appropriate files.

When I restored Windows, I optioned to save everything from my C drive in a backup folder. Because I just did a clean install from the original eMachines disk, had all of the hardware been the same it should have recognized the network card. But obviously something was changed when I had the motherboard replaced last year. So, based on your information I did searches for the above mentioned files/folders and I focused on those that were in the aforementioned backup folder and were dated in the time frame when the motherboard was replaced. (Since this was apparently not original equipment, all of the installation folders were on my hard drive as opposed to the eMachines restore disk.) And then I started clicking on them and installing whenever an install wizard popped up, assuming that having extra software should not be an issue because the system would ignore it if it was not needed.

The Broadcom Gagibit Integrated Controller did the trick, although there might have been others that I installed that also were needed. But, as I mentioned, what allowed me to find those on my computer and install was knowing where I needed to be looking.

So again, thank you so much. for your help. I am sitting here at home, happily typing away on my own computer. I still have some things to work out because although I did download antivirus software I have not yet upgraded from XP SP2 so that's up next. But just wanted to thank you for making this possible.

Did I say thank you?

Bruce