Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:05:39 -0500
Found a good deal on some Linksys wireless (router WRT54G) and decided
to put my three computers together. I still use a dial-up system (a
competitor cable company is currently putting in their own lines and
will be offerring low cost braodband in about 5 months) but I thought I
could have all three computers (plus my son's work laptop and my wife's
work laptop tie) into the lan. Problem, no one can see anything.

My main is a Win98 tied into port one on the router. I can and have
programmed the router to have a special SSID, not to broadcast the SSID
and to use WEP. But the Win 98 system doesn't seen to have any
indication that it is tied to a lan. In network neighborhood, it sees
only itself.

Computer #2, a WinXP home has a wireless card, but it doesn't see
anything else (yes, the card was programmed to have the same SSID and
other features.) I even allowed that XP computer to create a network
disk to program other computers on the lan. Still can't see anything.

Laptops, when programmed with the SSID and passphrase see a signal but
nothing else.

\The router is set up to be a DHCP. Since I only want to use the access
point function of the router for a while, is their some programming
thing I must do to it to make it different? Or maybe I can't do anything?

Jean Bourvic