From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:30:38 EDT
I am not an expert in networking, but I have had my home computers networked
for several years now and have installed several home and small business
networks. I think that the easiest way for you to share your Internet
connection and network your systems, would be to use either a phone line
network system, power line system, or a wireless network device. As long as
you have under a dozen computers or so on your network, you shouldn't need
any type of hub or router. A buddy of mine uses the power line system, and he
was able to access his computer from his neighbors house. (you can only
access the network, if you know the access codes to that network).

Speed can vary between 1Mbps and now 22Mbps. They come in both PCI and USB
type and require no wiring and under Windows XP, they practically set
themselves up. Using other types of Windows, you may have to install Internet
Sharing Software but this is also very easy to do. I have used mostly a
product from Intel called AnyPoint, but I have also used systems from AMD,
RCA, and Diamond Multimedia. I currently use an Intel AnyPoint 1Mbps
phoneline system between my main computer and my daughters room, and a
1.6Mbps wireless system between my main computer, and my laptop w/o any
problems. My cable modem usually shows around 2.3Mbps using speed test sites
and I really don't notice browsing any slower on the network computers. You
should be able to find one of the slower (1Mbps) phone line systems complete
for around $35 or so.

Dennis Noble

> I am going to setup a cable modem to two computers.  I was told that I
> needed a amplifier to boost the signal along with a router.  I am not sure
> what all of this means.  What is the best and safest way to do this??

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml