From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:40:15 -0800
On 18 Mar 99, at 10:21, bdecker wrote:

> Could anyone point me in the right direction for information on
> getting full 128 MB memory usage in my system?  Mbrd is an Intel
> 440FX, Pentium Pro 200., specs says it supports up to 250 MB DRAM
> using stndrd 72 pin SIMMS.  My recently upgraded AMI BIOS recognizes
> it as 131+ MB but the Windows System Properties reports only 64 MB.

  I recall encountering a case like this about two years ago.  There was
a setting in the CMOS configuration for memory ">64MB", where the choices
were "OS/2" and "non-OS/2" -- when I reversed that setting (I believe
putting it to the "OS/2" setting, although I've never used OS/2...),
Windows became able to see the second 64MB of RAM.  This might work for
you, too.

>   When a program such as Corel Xara aborts a function and reports
> out of memory, is that the old DOS memory or total system memory?

  It's *unlikely* to be DOS conventional memory.  Win 9x does need to
allocate a structure in that range for each process, but the bug in Win
3.x that could allow some applications to suck it all up has been fixed.

> Windows 95B is managing my memory and report 9gig+ of my 11.5 gig HD
> C: drive available. System resources check in at 85% on system start
> up.

  I'm not familiar with Xara; it *could* be running out of resources.
It doesn't sound like it can be running out of swap file, but maybe
it's trying to specify that space it wants to allocate must be locked
in RAM (rather than swappable).  That's not very friendly, but getting
that second 64MB recognized will help if this is the case.

David G