From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:57:39 -0600
I had a batch of internal ZIP drives, also NEC, that came with a suite of
programs, and drivers. If the units were installed w/o installing the
drivers, they worked fine. If you installed the software, and the included
drivers, they also worked fine.

The problem was that other systems including w95, W98, NT, etc. were unable
to read or write to disk that were formatted or written to using computers
that had the included drivers loaded. They were also unable to recognize ZIP
disk from other computer systems, and would ask if you would like to format
the disk. I tried replacing the drivers, and deleting the software, but was
never able to get any of the systems back to writing in the standard ZIP
disk format. I ended up reformatting the hard drive and using only the
generic windows drivers. I ended up trashing the software that came with
these units, and never had any further problems.

Dennis Noble
It's not what you want that makes you fat,
It's what you get.

>Here is one more problem I identified. I have an NEC built ZIP 100 ATAPI
>drive in my computer. OS is Windows XP Pro with SP1. The ZIP drive works
>just fine - except... If I insert a formerly recorded ZIP disk that is
>formatted as FAT, then XP does not recognize it as formatted media. If I
>boot the same system to Windows 98, the media is recognized just fine. The
>very strange thing is that if I take the same media to my work computer
>that
>is running the same version of XP, the disk is read just fine. The work
>computer, however, has a ZIP 250 drive in it. I suspect that the problem is
>with the drivers for the ZIP drive. Anyone else run into something like
>this

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml