From:
Kelly Younger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 12:07:32 -0500
ghelm wrote:

> The Jaz dive is external.  When I turn it on it assumes drive letter D:
> and reassigns the logical drive drive letters E: - H:.  When this
> happens my program files cannot be found.
>
> I have gone into control panel, system, device manager but it will not
> allow me to change the drive letter.

Greetings,
  I am not familiar with how a JAZ is setup, but this is how I solved a
similar problem with my SparQ (which is parallel port, so this might not
pertain to you at all). Go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager then
to DISK DRIVES. You didn't say, but I'm hoping this is where our
procedure differs. If the JAZ is listed under Disk Drives, you can
select the "Settings" tab under "Properties" and force any letter you
want. Hope this solves your problem.
  Also, is your JAZ recognized on boot-up even if it's turned off? If
it's not, you can go to http://www.shuttletech.com/software.htm and
download Shuttle Connect-It which is a small freeware program that lets
you access external drives without a reboot if you forget to turn them
on before booting up. It's cool, it works, it's free! (No, I don't work
for 'em).

Cheers,
Kelly Younger