From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:12:40 -0600
Steve Wolfe wrote:

> Try renaming the file on C: from Logo.sys  to Logo.Bak and reboot. The Windows
> 98 logo, or as it is called "Splash screen" reads this file. Which is just a
> converted BMP file. If it does not exsist, you will not see the Splash screen
> at startup.

This is correct under Win95, but not quite correct under Win98. The file
'io.sys' contains the default Win98 splash screen. If a file named
'logo.sys' is present in the root directory of C:, it will be used, but
if absent then the default will be displayed.

As someone else mentioned, the splash screen can be turned off entirely
with the Powertoy 'TweakUI', which is on the Win98 CD. Alternatively,
you can directly modify the file 'C:\msdos.sys' to disable the splash
screen, but alas I don't have the correct syntax at hand. TweakUI is the
easiest method, IMHO.

Jeff Delzer

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html