From:
John Clemence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:58:52 +0000
Hi,
I am still not able to connect to the internet with my fairly new laptop
and had posted the query below outlining the problem - I wonder if
someone could help me track the internet connection from the wireless
and hard-wired input on the computer to where-ever it should go. The
network is working, lots of other devices connected but not this laptop.
I tried the self diagnosis but it said it was unable to find the
problem. I tried "Internet Options" - "Set up Internet Con" - "Your
already Connected to the Internet" - "Browse Now" - browser opened but
no web page, just a report - "Connection was reset"

I have a Satellite C50-A-1DV laptop which has Windows 8.1 o/s. About 3
days ago it stopped connecting to the internet although the symbol in
the system tray showed a strong wireless signal.
I tried connecting with a plug-in wire from the router but still no
connection. I think a clue to the problem may be a message that appears
after the machine has started up, the message says something along the
lines - "Failed to Connect to a Windows Service. Windows couldn't
connect to the Group Policy Client Service. As an administrator user you
can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't
respond".
I am just a retired home user and am not sure how to be an
"administrator user" or how to access the "system event log" or what I
should expect to or not to find!
A few days before this happened I did download some software to give me
the "start button & menu" that I was used to with Win 7. I also switched
off one of the swipe features on the touch pad.
I wonder if anyone might have some advice on what I could do.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards.
John.

                          PCSOFT's List Owners: