From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 21:18:01 -0800
I have a client with a Panasonic SQ TC512N 12X 5 bay CD-ROM changer.  It was
working well in a Pentium II, FX chipset motherboard, Win95B, as master on the
secondary controller.

Until.  Until she downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 4.  Then the
system would no longer boot -- Windows Protection Error.  I isolated the error
down to the secondary controller.  So, as long as the secondary controller is
disabled, the system works fine.  Of course, the CD-ROM changer doesn't.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices? I know that the
predecessor, the 10 speed 510N, didn't work right with Win95B until Panasonic
provided a firmware upgrade.  I'm wondering whether IE4 is causing the same
problem with this device, since IE4 changes a fair number of system files.

I'm also wondering if I should just try to install the DOS drivers for this
thing (which are a lot more complicated looking than the "normal" CD-ROM DOS
drivers, and keep the secondary controller disabled. Or whether to reformat and
reinstall Win95B, avoiding IE4 this time.

Help?

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]