From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:22:00 -0800
On 6 Oct 99, at 13:46, Carl McGarry wrote:

> It would be my guess that your hub, being described in your words
> as a 'cheap 5 port hub' does not have the built-in cross-over, and
> you are using straight thru cables. I would recommend either
> reterminating the cables as cross-over, or try a hub with the
> cross-over feature. Assuming that all of the networking properties
> are identical on each machine (Workgroup name etc) and all of the
> cables are ok, this should solve your problem.

  You should never need a cross-over cable to connect a NIC to a hub!

  You *might* need a cross-over cable to connect two hubs together,
but most 5-port hubs I've seen have one port already wired as a cross-
over so a straight cable can be used for this purpose.  [I've asked
Walter in private email to make sure that he doesn't have one of the
PCs plugged into such a port on the hub....]

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org